LAS has changed my life for the better. I still remember the phone call saying I received the scholarship like it was yesterday. The people and connections I have made through this scholarship in just 3 months has already affected my life in so many ways.
The Leadership Advancement Scholarship is a scholarship offered through Central Michigan University. It is made up of 49 students that all live in the same residence hall and are awarded $2,000 annually. The money honestly has nothing to do with how amazing this program is. The staff at the LI have given me a shoulder to cry on, scheduling help and I even babysat on of their baby’s. It isn’t just a scholarship program, it is a family.
The protocol for LAS the first year is as follows:
- We must receive 30+ hours of community service annually
- Involvement in a registered student organization
- We must be a part of a LAS LEAD team
- Attendance at 3 leadership lectures each semester
- One seminar or workshop pertaining to leadership
We also are required to take some classes with our cohort. Those include for the first year:
- COM 267L – Intro to Debate
- PSY 100L – Intro to Psychology
- LDR 100 – Leadership Colloquium
- HST 110L – The American Experience
- LDR 101 – Leadership Colloquium
The people in LAS are beyond amazing. They have helped me so much adjust to the college life. I have already made so many life long friends in such a short amount of time. Receiving this scholarship has been the best thing to happen to me since getting into CMU. I cannot wait to see what my future has in store for me. FIRE UP CHIPS!!!
“You are not the leaders of tomorrow, you are the leaders of today!”